Thursday, January 17, 2008

Lotte World in All Its Glory


Lotte World in All Its Glory
Originally uploaded by karmking1111.
The kids have always told me about Lotte World. They ask, "Teacher, do you know about Lotte World?" and I'll say, "No," and they'll proceed to tell me about all the wonderful things in this place. First, it's a little hard to get as excited as the kids about Lotte Word. For one, Lotte is giant corporation kind of along the lines of Wal-Mart. In fact, they ran Wal-Mart out of business in South Korea. Imagine Wal-Mart making Wal-Mart World. I can't really imagine lining up to see that. Also, anything wholesome and family oriented has lines out the door, so I've never been too enthused to stand around with a bunch of strangers and their screaming children. Still, I've been a bit curious to see what all the hype was about. I got my chance this Tuesday when the winter camp I'm working for took me and the kids on a field trip to the infamous Lotte World.

If you're a Korean kid, aged 11, who doesn't know any better; then Lotte World is amazing. If you're a disgruntled waygook-en then Lotte World is laughable. I guess I'm jaded because I hit up Magic Mountain in California over the summer so I expected miles of roller coasters. I got meters of kiddie rides. Still, it's all about the kids, right? (That's a serious question.) They took me on all their favorite rides and ate way too much junk food. They had a blast and that's all that matters; that and I didn't have to pay a dime.

No comments: