Friday, September 22, 2006

I'll be Damned

It's after work on a Friday and I am looking forward to the weekend. Still, I love my Fridays at school. I show up at 2:40 sit around for four hours, teach two classes and then the day is done. Today I had the kids write out recipes; however I gave each group five flash cards and the items pictured on the cards had to be incorporated in some way into their recipes. The images on the cards ranged from actual foods like cake and noodles, to truly absurd things such as flowers, Santa Claus, teddy bears and grandmothers. It was interesting to see how the kids incorporated these things. One group of boys was stuck on how to make use of the chair flash card, until they thought of tying down the diner of their recipe in the chair and making them finish the concoction. Pretty unique.

Surprisingly, I got hungry between classes with all the talk of food and what not. I was mowing down on a dry piece of bread, wishing I had something else, when magically two pizzas appeared. No joke, a Papa Johns pizza delivery dude walked into the office and asked if we had ordered pizza. My Korean compadre answered no, and then the magical pizza man asked if we wanted the pizzas for free. Now all this was going on in Korean so I didn't understand a damn thing that was said. I haven't gotten to the pizza ordering chapter in my book, although you'd think that'd be the first chapter in any good conversation book. All I know is that at the end we had two free pizzas. This is not a good thing though. There have been many times in the past when I've been laying around the house, starving because I'm to lazy to cook for myself, just hoping that someone will show up and feed me. Now I'll always remember this day and know that on occasions (once in 31 years) that this actually happens. It's just fuel for my laziness. Just remember kids that every once in a while, when you wish really hard, that dreams actually do come true.

Baseball pics of last weekend follow:

3 comments:

Swamp Crotch in AZ said...

Does the Korean youth participate in the idea of greed and selfishness known as Santa Claus?

Catinlap said...

Hmmm. These pictures of baseball make me want a beer and a fine bratwurst....wait a minute, the doorbell is ringing...

Anonymous said...

Truth be told- I ordered the pizzas for you. you're welcome.