Saturday, January 05, 2008

Christmas Time 2007

For better or worse the holiday season is over. It was an memorable one that will be easy to forget. There were some great things that happened in there and then some points where nothing happened at all.

Christmas Eve
On Christmas eve we gathered at Scott and Allison's place for some Christmas Eve cheer (Yagermeister), had a traditional Christmas Eve dinner (marinated rib meat and kimchi), and then sang some Christmas carols (Born to be Wild at the no-re-bong). After that we opened presents delivered by the Christmas platypus and bathed in egg-nog. I'll let you decide which parts are true and which parts are false.

New Year's Eve
I hate to break it to everyone, there are other Wyoming people in Korea (hold the Brokeback comments please). Sarah and Jason Behuniak have arrived and are teaching English in Ulsan, about four hours south of Seoul. Since the distance between our cities is a little much, I won't be able to see as much of them as I would like. Still, Kat and I have visited their quaint little chunk of Korea and this New Year's they came up and visited ours.

I learned that I love playing tour guide. We went to the palace, to some markets, to the museum, and we only got lost once. The good thing Sarah and Jason showed up on some of the clearest days I've ever seen in Seoul. They also showed up on some of the coldest days I've ever seen as well. Bars are pretty warm so we took them to a few of those on New Year's eve and we all had a blast. I did the kind of dancing that makes me shudder the next day when I think about it, but that's all part of the fun.

The Long Bout of Dullness in Between
In between the two holidays was a lot of time. Time for what? Not much. It's one of those things where I swear I'm going to get this and this and this done, and somehow I don't do any of it. I liken my will power this holiday season to a clunker automobile in sub-zero temperatures; it takes a lot of effort to get me started and once I get to my destination it's too late to do anything. Here's what I accomplished:

-Played Final Fantasy. My friends called me a geek for playing this one. Thankfully I came to the conclusion that Final Fantasy Tactics is a boring assed game and there are better uses of my time. Too bad it took me four days to realize this.

- Bought a new camera; but I don't take any pictures with it. I'm scarred of my luck with cameras. For right now I think I'll just stare at it and take pictures of things in the apartment. We'll work up from that.

-Made lists of things to do. Unfortunately these lists became lists of things that I'd like to do could I must up the motivation.

-Went to the gym. I think the act of picking up heavy things, moving them around for a bit and returning them to the place I found them is the perfect symbolic gesture for this holiday season.

-Writing in my journal. There was a lot of self-psycho-analysis going on.

The thing is in a week or two everything is going to hit all at once. School will be in full swing, university will start, there are side projects, I won't find time to do my laundry, the toilet will overflow. I just wish I could get some of these things out of the way but there's only so much laundry you can do ahead of time. I wish I could take this free time and package it for later when I'm burnt out; take an hour or two throw it in a box and open it during finals. I wish for so much and my girlfriend just has one wish, that I could relax.

No comments: