Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Make it Easy On Me

So a long time ago in a country far, far away a former girlfriend and I were sitting at a bar, sipping beers and cocktail and sharing stories. We had been together for about 11 months but were going to split and go in different direction in a couple of days. Things had gone badly since the beginning of our trip and it only took a little while for us to realize that things weren't going to work out. However, we continued to travel together for a bit out of convenience sake.

At this bar we were getting a little bit tipsy and philosophical (the two always go together with me) and we were sharing beliefs and ideas. Eventually the ex started laying out some of her beliefs, the ones she had hidden from me for fear of judgement. She stated that she believed that aliens lived among us and that there was a specific alien race called the "grey people". These were the people who make our lives difficult. Anyone who is disgruntled, angry, rude; they weren't just disgruntled, angry or rude; they were the "grey people"; a group of aliens that was going compromise humanity's aura with bad alien vibes. There were other races of aliens that had other characteristics and agendas. After listening to her for awhile I began to feel that if her theories held any credibility that pretty much her and I were the only people in the world who weren't aliens, and I wasn't so sure about her any more.

I just sat there, taking it all in, like you might a science fiction film. When she was done I didn't argue with her or try to change her mind about anything. I just said in my mind, "Thank you, you made our parting so much easier."

This brings me to disc golf. Yesterday Dave and I went up to Snowbowl to play disc golf, a sport I've grown to love. The round started out well enough but by the middle of the course I was hitting trees with my disc and missing five foot puts. I was so pissed off by the end of that course that I concentrated on drinking beer rather than throwing my disc, an activity with much more predictable results.

The thing is, I love disc golf and it killed me to miss out on it last year in Korea, but now, after that last game, I think disc golf might have done me a favor. I have no desire to play it right now nor for sometime. Sure, if some friends were going out to play I'd join them, but just to be with my friends. Disc golf made have done me a favor yesterday just as that old girlfriend did me a favor a long time ago by making our parting easier. Sometimes, if you look at it the right way, Frisbees and exs can be very much the same.

1 comment:

Kat-tron! said...

Blah blah always talking about your exes. Unlike me ;p. I miss you and your stupid frisbee golf, tennis, regular golf playin, bum.