Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Closed for Business


Closed for Business
Originally uploaded by karmking1111.
Once again, here are some pics of trashed buildings around Suji. In the fall I came across this restaurant, which had a gorgeous garden out front. Now all that's left is an ornamental rock. I also came across an elementary school that had been hollowed out. The strange and eerie thing is that not much moving or salvaging seems to have been done to these places. At the school there were still desks, chairs, books, basketballs and other usable items that were just discarded. It makes me wonder what's the reason for all the destruction. Listed are some hypothesis:

1. The mob has taken control of the outskirts of Suji and come down hard on anyone who couldn't pay the extortion fee.

2. There's a radioactive plague that has infected these buildings; therefore, they must be torn down; therefore, I have that plague because I've entered the buildings.

3. The Korean Hell's Angels.

4. There are bands of mutant, Korean Were-Rats that prey on people on the outskirts of massive metropolitan areas. The only hope is to move to a massive apartment complex as soon as possible.

5. A berserker block party.

Unfortunately, for me, I know all these guesses are wrong. Seoul and outlying areas are growing by leaps and bounds and any structure two stories and less is getting gobbled up by large companies and corporations to build high rises. I understand, South Korea has the largest population density in the world. Still it's rather anti-climatic that my drunken, block party, were-rats is probably none other than Samsung and Hyundai building more apartments.

No comments: