Monday, February 05, 2007

Odelay Essay

We've recently received a fresh wave of essays at the old Avalon English mine. Grading essays gets very tedious and mind numbing, so it's nice when a kid writes an essay with some actual thought put into it or makes humorous mistakes. Neither has happened for awhile until today. Let me share with you:

Topic: What is your favorite food and why?
I likes oranges because it is sweet and I like the color. I also like ice cream but I cannot eat manies. I also like to eat crap. Crap is good but I cannot eat it often because it is expensive. I like many foods.

I'm pretty sure that this student meant to write crab rather than crap. The student who wrote this is studious, well mannered and relatively clean so I'm assuming that the reference to eating fecal matter is a mistake. Plus I have not noticed any expensive poop in Korea.

Topic: Summarize the unit on cosmetic surgery.
Maria Concepcion received cosmetic surgery and she had four children. She was also married. I cannot understand this. Why would she get plastic surgery if she was married? My mother does not care if she is ugly or not, although she was very pretty in university.

I believe I'll share this one on parent night.

(This one was stolen from one of Ken's students.)
Topic: Summarize the unit on Internet Cafes.
(The student was writting about Korea's Internet Cafes, a.k.a. PC Bangs)
People who loves games play for 6 hours at least. That's too much time. And they may have sickness or illness and then the pain will come.

This kid is like a prophet. I love that last line, "and then the pain will come." I think I'll steal it for the opening line of my screenplay. We need to get this kid to write more.

A part of me feels guilty for stealing excerpts from these kids' papers and waving them around so we can laugh at them; however, I feel that if we can laugh at our own mistakes we are blessed. If we can laugh at other peoples mistakes, so we don't have to make our own, we are divine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is sooo funny! Although, when are you having kids learn about cosmetic surgery?? isn't it a bit early-- I swear- the pressure to be beautiful!! aargh.... okay, I'm done :)