Friday, January 26, 2007

Obey the Laws

This post has been a long time coming and it's theme is one that everyone can't help but notice when they first arrive in Korea: the Korean driving style. Traffic rules are more guidelines here and horns blare frequently in the ironically named, Land of the Morning Calm. After intensive study and observation, I believe that I actually understand Korean traffic rules. They're like English grammar rules, there's more exceptions to the rules than actual applications of the rules:
1. You are required to stop at all red lights.
Exceptions:
a) You are a bus driver.
b) You are late.
c) You are a late bus driver.
d) You just don't feel like stopping.
e) You are Korean

2. You should allow pedestrians the right of way.
Exceptions:
a) They look like fast nimble pedestrians.

3. You should park in designated parking areas.
Exceptions:
a) There are no designated parking areas within five feet of where you want to park.

4. You should not use your horn.
Exceptions:
a) You are running a red light and you want to notify the pedestrians in the intersection that you are running the red light.
b) The driver in front of you has foolishly stopped at a red light and you want them to move so you can run the red light.
c) You are an asshole.

5. You should not operate a vehicle on the sidewalk.
Exceptions:
a) You are on a scooter.
b) You are on a motorcycle.
c) You are in a car.
d) Traffic in the street is backed up, but the sidewalk is relatively clear.

6. You should use the pedestrine walk way when walking on the trails by the river and keep the bike path clear.
Exceptions:
a) You want to pretend you are riding a bicycle.
b) You want to pretend you are a bicycle.
c) You are Korean.

Because of these hazardous driving styles, I am constantly on guard when I'm walking around. When I cross the street, I generally let a Korean go first and then use them as a screen, ready to do the old pick and roll should anything disastrous occur. The craziest thing here is I witnessed ten times more accidents in The States than over here. My theory on this is in The States, when the light changes, we just go and then we're surprised when an absent-minded driver T-bones us. Over here there's a much more distinct possibility that a late bus driver is charging through a red light so everyone looks around before they dash out into the intersection.

Having said all of that, the first thing I'm going to do when I get back to the states is drive for a week straight.

Having said that, I hate cars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling...when I first arrived in Korea I was afraid of Scooters for like a few months. I was as scared of the as I am to a cobra....Wendy

Anonymous said...

Do these rules hold up in court?
-Scott