Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Scuba Skillz

This Saturday I take off for Thailand. Don't you hate it when people start things of like that, with what appears to be an off-handed comment but is really meant to rub the fact in your face.

I'm supposed to meet up with Scott and Allison, but it won't be all fun and games. Allison and I plan on putting our scuba diving skills to the test. We haven't tested them out since April, when we got our Navy Seal certification diving in the east Korean sea. I imagine Thailand will be a bit warmer than what we went through before. I'm trying to remember all my scuba hand signals. The request for buddy breathe, when you and your scuba partner share the same regulator, is supposed to be a back and forth motion across the throat symbolizing "out of air" and a back in forth motion between the divers symbolizing "lets share air". Al and I always thought it was more likely to for one of us to rip the regulator out of the other persons mouth and hold them back Heisman Trophy style with a hand to the face. Hopefully all works out. Scott plans to be our lifeguard; he will sit on the beach, drink beer and look out for land sharks.

Other activities include scooter scouting, sea kayaking, laying on the beach and avoiding peanut and shrimp allergies. I have my flash cards all printed out that say in English and Thai, "Don't put nuts in my food. I am allergic to them." With the cards also came one that said, "I hate to interrupt, but can I play ping pong with you." I hope I don't get them mixed up. I'm also mystified by that last one, but you never know what's going to happen, and I have been jonesing for a good game of ping pong.

2 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

Sweet. How long will you be in Thailand? I expect copious amounts of pictures.

Friendly word of advice: don't eat anything--peanuts and shrimp abound in all Thai food.

Catinlap said...

I can just see that; walk up to a couple of guys playing ping-pong and flash them a card telling them not to put nuts in your food!