Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Great Name for a Band: The Fire Eggs

I wish there was some big exciting event to write about, however, things have slowed down as of late. The weather is getting colder and it's more inviting to stay inside and try to put on a layer of fat on before hibernation. "Watch as the Northen Waygook consumes copeous amounts of potato chips and beer while lying prone on the couch to conserve his energy for the upcoming months." I've been watching too many nature shows.

I do have some more interesting and slightly raunchy insights into the Korean language though. (And honestly, what insight is interesting that isn't slightly raunchy?) I asked some of the Korean teachers awhile back how to say mushroom because I'd like to know how to say that I'd like more mushrooms at a restaurant; Korea is the land of awesome mushrooms by the way. The K teachers told me it was "Pa-Sat"; however, I messed up the pronunciation and said, "Pa-Sa". They then informed me that I had just used the impolite, command form to say, "Take off your clothes!" I might have had trouble remembering "Pa-Sat" as mushroom, but once I knew how close it was to telling someone to take off their clothes, I never forgot it. For those of you advanced learners, "Pa-sa joo-se-yo," is, "Take your clothes off please."

I also learned that "fire-eggs" is the literal translation of Korean to English for testicles. Please don't think that I go around pointing at various body parts and ask people how to say them in Korean. I might have done this at 27, but not at the ripe old age of 31. I actually learned this through a random conversation. I was talking to some of the other foreign teachers and one person said, "It hit me right in the fire eggs."
"Fire-eggs, what's that?" I enquired, "I always hear the kids say that."
"Fire-eggs is the literal translation for balls."
I snickered like I always do when I hear anyone mention anything about genitalia, but I was also laughing at the fact the testies are called fire eggs. I know the translation for a man's genitalia in Spanish is eggs, "huevos", but Koreans' take it one step further and add "fire" to the whole thing. Pretty humorous if you ask me, but then I recalled a game I had played with kids a few days before. I divided the kids into two groups, boys and girls, and asked them to choose names for their teams. The girls chose something sweet, like The Five Princesses, but the boys chose The Fire Eggs, and not knowing what it meant, I allowed them to keep their name and wrote it on the board. I unintentionally allowed the boys to name themselves The Testicles. Thank goodness no Korean teacher or Higher-Ups from the office came in. Come to think of it, I wonder what "five princesses" means now.

Below are pics that have nothing to do with the aforementioned subjects (thank god). My old camera had a scratch on the lens, and I didn't dig it very much so I bought myself an early Christmas present, a Canon S2IS. It is now part of the family. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

Well at least you won't be ordering fire eggs in the restaurants anymore!

Anonymous said...

I wonder what kind of reaction you would get if you ordered your fire eggs over hard at a restaurant. Sorry, the kid comes out of me easily.