Monday, July 24, 2006

Delayed Response

I wrote the following about a week ago, but I've been a bit lax in posting as of late. Recently I've adopted the attitude of, "I'll get around to it when I get around to it." I finally got around to it.

"Blood, Sweat and Tears" or "Rain, Mud and Beers"

It's been raining for about four straight days with no end in sight. People have told me that the weekend's supposed to be nice, but I've learned never to count on the weatherman or on the rumors of what the weatherman has said. The rain ain't so bad though. It stops the construction crew from waking me up at seven in the morning, when they usually start their early morning jackhammering. Someone please send me a gun when the sun starts shining. The sun also gives me an excuse to sit indoors and do nothing, something I rarely do when the sun is shining. I blame my mother for my instilling in me a sense of duty to go out there and "enjoy the day" even when I don't particularly want to.

I guess Korea is going through it's own little drama right about now. The torrential rains have killed about 25 people in the southern and central provinces due to floods. This leaves me with little to complain about as far as the rain goes; I'm still alive. In North Korea, rumors have it that 100 people have died and 9000 families are homeless due to floods and mudslides, though North Korea will never admit to it. They're kind of like that too proud friend that does something stupid, like drops a circular saw into their lap or fires off random missiles, and then refuses help. "No, nothing's wrong. We're just fine. Starvation? What starvation? Homelessness? We haven't even noticed that it's raining."

From national matters to individual matters, I hit up the mud festival with a few other teachers during the weekend. The Borreyoung mud fest is an excuse to drink beer, roll around in the mud and lay out on the beach. The ocean was warm so the rain didn't interfere with our plans. Once you've decided that rolling around in the mud is a good idea, extreme weather doesn't seem to mean too much.

No comments: