Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I threw some more scuba and flower pictures on the site for fun. I actually stole the additional scuba photos from scuba instructor and beer inspector Nic Hofberg. Since I stole his photos, it's only fair that I cite his website. Check out http://www.suwon-scuba.com/ for more crazy Korean scuba diving action.

In other news, well, there's not much other news. I've just been teaching, grading essays and pedalling the Eagle around town. The poor thing got a flat today; I'm referring to the bike.

The kids recently had the essay topic: "If you could live in any other country besides Korea, where would you go." It was interesting to read what the kids thought of other countries. With respect to the states they seemed equally divided between believing that they would get shot the minute they stepped off the plane (because America is such a violent place) and thinking that all North Americans are rich and intelligent. I don't have the heart to tell them they are mistaken in both instances.

One girl said she wanted to go to the United States of America to, "eat the big pizza and hamburger in the western fashion." Besides being very poetic, this phrase made me wonder what is the "western fashion" of eating. Since she was referring to hand foods, pizza and hamburgers, I think it's discarding the chopsticks (and even simple utensils like a fork and knife), picking up the food, and mashing it into ones face in hopes that it might reasonably get close to ones mouth. I've worked in many restaurants and this is not far off the mark. In fact of got a hankering to eat "the big hamburger in the western fashion" right about now. Believe it or not, there's a TGI Fridays right across the street. I never corrected the girl's sentence. To me it was perfect.

1 comment:

Clint Gardner said...

Hopefully she will not eat both in one sitting.

Working in this game as long as I have, I've heard some very poetic sentences from second-language writers. I'm too tired to think of anything specific right now.

On a side note: the Jazz are completely out of the playoff picture. No news there, really, but I thought I share it anyway.